Thursday, January 6, 2011
So I actually got this from a cookbook called "Mexican: Healthy ways with a favorite cuisine" by Jane Milton. FYI it was freakin delicious!!
1 1/4 lbs zucchini
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 small onion
3 fresh jalapeno chiles, seeded and cut in strips
3 large eggs
1/2 cup grated Monterey Jack or mild Cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbs butter
salt to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350. Trim zucchini ends and slice them in thin rounds. Heat oil in large frying pan. Add zucchini & cook for few minutes, turning them over at least once, until they are soft and beginning to brown. Using a slotted spoon, transfer them to bowl.
2. Slice the onion & add it to oil remaining in the pan, with most of the jalapeno strips, reserving some for garnish. Saute until the onions have softened and are golden. Using a slotted spoon, add onions and jalapenos to zucchini.
3. Beat eggs in a large bowl. Add self-rising flour, cheese & cayenne. Mix well, then stir in zucchini mixture, with salt to taste.
4. Grease a 9-inch round shallow ovenproof dish with the butter. Pour in the zucchini mixture and bake for 30 minutes, until risen, firm to the touch and golden. Let cool.
5. Serve the torte in thick wedges, garnished with the remaining jalapeno strips. A tomato salad, sprinkled with chives, makes a colorful accompaniment.