Friday, April 8, 2011

Aji ... pronounced 'Ah-He' :-)

I LOVE THIS STUFF!! It has a perfect amount of heat from the jalapeno and habanero that I added, and the lemon juice with tomato and cilantro give it a fresh taste .... Sounds like I watch the Food Network too much, LOL

Anyway, this 'Aji' is generally considered a South American type of salsa I guess. Peruvians have another type of Aji thats made with tomatillos and avocado I think, and its also spicy and delicious!! ..

My boyfriend is Colombian and his aunt makes this soup called "Sancocho", and I love it! (I hope to learn how to make it someday) ... You make this on the side and each person adds however much they want to their bowl of soup. And it makes the soup so much better, and really helps clear up your sinus' if your congested ;-) If you're not a spicy food person I wouldn't recommend it but if you are, you must try. I usually make it when its cold outside and I'm craving a hot soup. I usually make a veggie soup because its fast and easy, but its mostly good for broth type soups.

Here are the ingredients for about 1 1/2 cups:

3 Roma tomatoes (you can use any kind though, thats just what I had on hand)
Half of one bunch of cilantro
3 green onions (green and white part)
Juice of one lemon and one lime
One medium jalapeno
One Habanero chile
Salt to taste

Just mix it all together! You can bring down spicy-ness with more tomato :-) Enjoy!



8 comments:

  1. That looks yum, definitely going to try that!

    http://themessenger-bag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! My mouth literally began watering at the first picture, and then after reading this - I NEED to go shopping so I can make this!! :P <yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes its so yummy, and good if you just want tortilla chips and salsa! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm, yummy and delicious and healthy! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love aji because when feeling stuffy a little bit instantly opens my sinus up. Very simple recipe have to try this soon. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds really good. All my favorite ingredients and heat! Definitely will try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that looks so yummy,need to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This just got me hungry!! I love your blog!


    http://ifcurvescouldtalk.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete