Thursday, June 23, 2011

Classic Books

During middle school, high school, and even college there are always specific books that we have had to read for assignments and what not. At the time, I didn't mind reading them, but I hated that we had to over analyze every single detail of certain books like Lord of the Flies, The Good Earth, Grapes of Wrath, The Odyssey, Fahrenheit 451, etc. However, I actually would love to read classic novels like these again. I read The Good Earth recently and I felt like I appreciated it more now that I'm older. Are there any classic novels that you have read or would like to read??

Some of the classics I would love to read are:

Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
Catch 22 by Joseph Heller
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
My Antonia by Willa Cather

... and so many more! My father was a book worm too, so its one of my favorite hobbies that he passed on to my sister and I :-) Below I attached a link to a website that lists the 100 best novels to read. I just googled it, so some websites have different lists, but I thought this was a good one. Enjoy!

100 Best Novels

8 comments:

  1. thanks for the link! i love reading and lately have been catching up on some missed classics. i will make sure to check out the top 100!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Where the Red Ferns Grow and still do! the Color Purple is also one of my favz as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhahah, good luck with Atlas Shrugged! It's very long, and quite boring :|
    I had to read My Antonia and Great Gatsby for school. If I had to choose between the two, I'd WAY go for Gatsby. I think the story is much more compelling, although My Antonia is interesting conceptually, I was a bit put off by the protagonist and his attitude towards women... even though it's written by a woman, lol!
    Yay books!! :DD

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Wifezilla I remember reading Where the Red Fern Grows, but I forgot what its about, I gotta check it out again!

    @Widdlesh I tried to start Atlas Shrugged last year but I kept falling asleep! LOL I guess I should put that at the bottom of my list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you read any of Vonnegut's stuff. I know Slaughterhouse V turns up on a lot of Top 100 lists and I have to say it's my very favorite book of all time. I had to read it first for school but I've reread it many times since and always find myself drawn back to it over and over again.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Meredith I've never read it! But I do want to, thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooo those sound like some real good book suggestions.
    x

    http://nanakkii.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete