Friday, July 29, 2011

Black Bean Soup

I think this may be one of the last recipes I post on this blog. I got a suggestion from one of my followers (BeautybyKrystal) that I should start a food only blog. And to be honest, at first I thought I don't know how I could keep up with two blogs, because one is hard work! However, I was talking to some of my friends and mentioned to them that we should start a collaborative food blog because we each like to eat and stuff our little faces! LOL Anyway, they loved the idea and we are in the process of thinking of some names and what not. So thanks Krystal for the idea! I know it's going to end up being lots of fun, and will encourage me to cook more and try new things!

The weather has been crazy lately, one day its blazing hot and the next day its cool and the nights get chilly, so I was craving some delicious night time soup. So I got out of work early one day and decided to make this super easy recipe! I got this one from Real Simple. The only thing I did differently was make my own beans. I cooked a small bag of black beans, I think it was a little over 3 cups. Canned beans are okay, but I had some extra time, and I prefer fresh homemade beans (so much better!)

Ingredients
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1 pint store-bought fresh salsa (I bought some fresh Pico de Gallo from my local Hispanic/Mexican market) Don't buy Pace Picante or something similar, no bueno!
  • 2 cups refried black beans (homemade)
  • 1 & 3/4 cups of whole black beans (I used a slotted spoon to get them from the pot, because they are supposed to be rinsed if you're using them from a can)
  • 1 & 3/4 cups chicken broth (a tiny bit extra if desired)
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
Directions:

1. Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add 1 ½ cups of the salsa
and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes.

2. Add the refried beans, black beans, and broth and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.

3. Divide among bowls and top with the sour cream, cilantro, and remaining ½ cup salsa.
(And some Queso Fresco and fresh avocado!)




5 comments:

  1. Oh yay! lmk when you make a food blog! i'll definitely follow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS LOOKS SO TASTY! I'm saving this recipe and trying it next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh man Chica this looks good!! =D Im going to try this something this coming week!

    ReplyDelete